In the early 1800’s Nick Hudson built a public inn in what is now Locust Fork. He erected barns to shelter the horses and hogs of the Tennessee farmers who drove them to the deeper South for a more profitable market.
The first church in the community was built by slave labor near Robinette Springs. Tabernacle, a Methodist church, was used for both school and church activities.
In 1921 a new school building was erected. Another classroom was added the following year and in 1928 two more classrooms were added. In 1937 with WPA assistance, a new high school was constructed. On January 10, 1961, the school burned. A new building is now located on this site.
Locust Fork was incorporated January 18, 1977. F. M. Wilder was elected the Town’s first mayor. Council members included Hoyt Ingram, Roderick Jett, James Glass, Glenn Osborne and Paul Marsh. The volunteer fire department was organized May 23, 1978. Fire chief was Robert “Rob” Rutherford.